Saturday 27 June 2015

Summertime, and the Living is Easy (but don't forget this is the Starsong household!)



The kitchen is not a place to linger in during long, hot summer days, only for preparing food quickly, wrapping it or dishing it up, and taking it outside to eat.

"The stillroom and the larder and the dairy are dim and stone-slabbed and pleasingly cool. Jugs and bowls and dishes stand, muslin-covered. Cotton bags of whey drip, drip, drip down, leaving the creamy yellow curds of cheese.

The refrigerator hums and vibrates day and night, a living creature in the corner. But the range stands cold and silent.

A pot of basil on the table, a pungent sweet geranium on the windowsill, a bunch of mint hung from the ceiling will all help to keep out summer flies."

If you are outside, walk into the greenhouse, dark and shady during the day with the thick growth of tomato plants. Close your eyes and breathe in the heady, pungent, strange warm smell.

Midsummer Eve, an enchanted night where witches, sprites and all manner of evil spirits are abroad, has safely passed, helped by the sprigs of fennel and rowan brought into the house to afford protection.

In the hedgerows lining our meadows the elderflowers are blooming - great foamy creamy white blossoms that remind us that spring is about to take a leap over the ditch into summer.

They have a most pungent and evocative scent and flavour, a little like that of the Muscatel grape.

Steep them in boiled water, leave to cool, strain. Use to rinse the face - an excellent skin tonic.

Add elderflowers to the first, sharp, small gooseberries, poached in syrup and made into a flan or pie. Or make some gooseberry and elderflower jam. Tie the flowers in a muslin bag, and suspend over the boiling jam mixture. Draw out before potting. The flavours marry perfectly.


Elderflowers make fine wine and champagne, fragrant and light. As a refreshing drink, diluted with spring water, try Elderflower Cordial.

Elderflower Cordial

25 elderflower heads
2 lbs sugar
2 lemons, grated, squeezed, cut into small pieces
2 oz citric acid (easy to obtain from a pharmacy)
2 pints cold, boiled water

1  Remove stems from flower heads and place in a large bowl. Add sugar, lemons, citric acid.

2  Cover with water and leave for two days, stirring occasionally.

3 Strain. Bottle. Dilute to taste. Keep in a refrigerator.

Elderflower Water Ice

6 oz sugar
1 pint water
1 egg white
Juice of 2 and rind of 3 lemons
4-6 elderflower heads

1  Combine everything except the egg white and lemon juice. Stir over a low heat until sugar dissolves. Boil for ten minutes.

2  Cool. Add lemon juice. Strain carefully. Freeze about one hour, until slushy. Beat, with a fork or hand whisk. Stiffly beat the egg white, and fold it in. Freeze further hour. Stir.

3  Then leave in freezer until needed. Thaw slightly before bringing to the table.

On Thursday night Dan and I were celebrating my imminent book release. I knew I had a bottle of champagne in the fridge (for emergency use - LOL) and I went and retrieved it. I had worked hard all morning helping with Church lunches for the elderly of the parish, and then on to my MIL's where I sat and had coffee whilst she ate the lunch I took to her, and then I was down on my knees scrubbing at a bright pink stain on her cream carpet where she had knocked over a glass of cranberry juice. By the time I got home it was 4pm. So I felt I owed myself a small drink of something alcoholic.


Dan opened the bottle for me as I am terrified of champagne corks for some reason. He filled two extremely large glasses. (In fact the glasses were so large we only got a glass and a bit, each.) The champagne turned out to be a sadly inferior Brut Cava I had brought back from Spain three years' ago, and though a pretty shade of pink, it took us three quarters of the way down a glass before we could ignore the flavour, which reminded us both a bit of paint stripper. (Not that we have ever drunk paint stripper. LOL) It was lovely to relax and chat, sipping our wine, and trying to put our stresses behind us.

This is not going to be a post about our stresses, but my MIL, although better than last week, and improving, is still not as good as she hoped she would be and she is getting very down as she is used to being such an independent lady. She is now on much stronger painkillers as the morphine didn't seem to work very well, and she has an appointment to see a consultant in a local hospital in a couple of weeks' time. We are hoping she will be able to have some sort of injection into her spine to block the pain of the osteo-arthritis which is disabling her so badly.

Dan and I haven't had much time for each other lately. In fact, we had quite a ding-dong last Sunday through Monday. Apart from odd reminder swats, which I openly admit are getting rather more forceful than I appreciate, spanking has been pretty much thin on the ground. Until the other morning.

Dan sat up in bed and informed me he thought one was very much overdue. I couldn't argue. I felt exhausted, harassed and pretty much in the doldrums myself. There was no point in debating the matter, so I got up and marched across the room and retrieved the rose paddle. I felt that after such a spanking drought, my backside wouldn't cope with much else, and Dan rarely stipulates unless he has lost all patience completely.

I knew he meant business as he immediately pegged me down with a hand on my back and his leg over both mine, but he did at least give me a good, long hand spanking first. It wasn't the lovely stingy sort. His hand felt like a lightening rod and I could almost smell burning. I was soon rolling around, trying to kick and uttering loud yelpy noises. 

There was no warning when that blessed paddle took over from his hand. He told me that he didn't intend stopping until I let it all out, and that it was no use clenching my buttocks and pretending to be elsewhere. (Funny that, how did he know?)

Some of our spanking sessions can be virtually measured in seconds. This was not one of them. It went on and on. It turned out that this was one of those times when Dan was determined

In fact he was very determined. He was determined to ensure my bottom felt every last slap of leather. I thought to myself that the women who are able to just slump and surrender, are very lucky indeed. I am not able to do that. I howl and moan and yelp and struggle to get free, get up, get anywhere so long as it is away from that paddle. The fantasy and the reality are completely different as far as I am concerned. He just kept on spanking and softly telling me to let it out. He even remembered previous entreaties, and spanked much lower for once. Only I hadn't really considered what this would do to my sit spots and sitting down to breakfast later.

Eventually he decided I had had enough. I was gathered into his arms and cuddled until my sobs had turned into sniffles, and then he showed me just how much spanking turns him on. (Smirk) But that is a good thing. We have come a long way. It's no longer a want. It's a need. 

Truly I didn't sit comfortably for a good, long while. In fact, most of the day I felt an inner burn. But it was like giving a droopy flower a long drink. It revived me and gave me strength to carry on in the face all our stresses.

I've had a couple of 'quicky spanky sessions' since, just hand spankings, and they have enabled me to feel topped up and on the straight and narrow.

However -

This morning whilst I was out down in the town doing a bit of shopping, and happily thinking that Dan was out in the garden doing some mowing etc, Dan did something most unlike him.

He Googled me! Truthfully, he Googled my new alter-ego Sarah Coltman. He then Googled Ami Starsong!

Minelle, if you are reading this, you may need to send me a Get out of Jail Free Card as well! I shall probably end up carrying a cushion round with me all day tomorrow!

Dan has never shown any interest in reading my blog posts, not even at the beginning. Occasionally I read him bits and I will sometimes read him someone else's blog. But he has always said he doesn't want to read what I write. 

He doesn't want to read my stories either, and has always seemed very happy just to play a supporting role.

Gulp.

Till now. 

He read the first three chapters of my book! He grinned in an evil way as he imparted this information during lunch. So he then went and read a considerable a chunk from my blog.

I am not able to relate our ensuing conversation, but my bottom immediately felt like it needed reassurance. 

I shall never live this down. Ever. 

I am soooo glad I always say to people that they have to make up their own minds just how much is fantasy and how much is based on truth. 

In my defence, I would like to say that stories are much more fun when practical research has been undertaken. More authentic. N'est ce pas?

But just cast a thought my way tomorrow morning when Dan reaches, as he is certain to do, for the worst weapon of ass destruction he can lay his hands on.

This is my link, which I haven't yet had time to attach in a proficient and professional manner at the side of my blog in case you might be interested in going to my new writer's blog.

http://sarahcoltman.blogspot.co.uk





22 comments:

  1. Wow Ami, such a lot going on in StarsongLand! Congratulations on the book release. I enjoyed the 'Beating of the Bounds' story you wrote for Fantasy Friday some time ago and will be downloading the book soon.

    You've solved a mystery for me in your post. I've been trying to identify a plant that has appeared in my garden and there it is on your blog - elderflower! No idea where it came from.

    Dan really seems to have found his spanky stride - lucky you! Maybe not so lucky now he's reading your blog though.

    Rosie x





    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, now I've looked it up it might be ground elder so I won't be making cordial with it!
      I've looked up your new blog site, doesn't seem to be active yet or maybe I'm having a really ditsy day.
      Rosie x

      Delete
    2. Hi Rosie, and thanks very much and I am very glad you enjoyed reading my story.

      It was the Romans who introduced ground elder to Britain, and taught us to eat the roots as a vegetable, and possibly the leaves as well. What they didn't tell us was the we would still be trying to obliterate it from our gardens in the year 2015 without much success!

      You need the proper sort of Elder to make wine or cordial. You can use both the flowers and the berries. I have an excellent cough medicine tonic recipe that is made using the berries should you ever want it.

      I am sorry you have had difficulty in going to my new blogsite. Several people have been there and commented, so I know it is working. Just type in Sarah Coltman and it should come up in Search, and then you can just press enter

      Hope you can find it.

      Hugs
      Ami

      Delete
  2. a lovely post...your words are so eloquent. How interesting and wonderful that Dan has suddenly begun reading your blog :-) Perhaps he will gain even more insight to your inner thoughts and needs. Since he already clearly enjoys this spanking thing, maybe you should hide your tush :-) LOL Hugs to you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terps. I think Dan reading my blog will be a splash in the pan and no more. He does enjoy spanking, but continues to be a bit spasmodic and not at all spontaneous. I live in hope...

      Hugs
      Ami

      Delete
  3. I just love you and Dan too. Such a terrific post.

    Elderflowers - my daughter introduced me to St. Germaine cocktails a couple of years ago. At the time I wasn't sure I liked the drink as much as the bottle but now I know different. On our recent trip, had a martini made with elderberry - delicious. Thanks for the recipes, although I'll never use them, I'll think of you next time I have a St. Germaine Cocktail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leigh! By this time I am thinking that either Blogger, me or the world has gone mad! On my Sarah Coltman site it answers commets as Ami Starsong, and on this site it has started answering comments as Sarah Coltman. I feel like running outside and having a very loud scream!

      Oh - martini made with elderflower. Wonderful. Do you know what they put in it exactly? I need to try that one. Is that what it is called, a St Germaine cocktail? Or is what your daughter made completely different? Yum.

      Hugs
      Ami

      Delete
    2. St. Germain Cocktail - 1.5 oz St. Germain Liquor, 2 oz dry white wine or champagne, club soda, lemon twist - collins glass

      I had the martini at the Bonefish Grill, a restaurant here. I looked up the recipe but don't have the measurements - Contents are Malibu Rum, St. Germaine Liquor, Fresh Pineapple, Lemon and vanilla bean simple syrup. (Served with a wedge of pineapple_

      For the records, I was never able to separate Sunny Girl from Leigh Smith so I just gave up. If you ever figure it out, maybe you could share. lolo

      Delete
    3. I have written the St Germain Cocktail in my recipe book. I think I'll leave the other one till I visit you one day. Sound delish!

      Well, dear, I just read through all the instructions for Saturday Spankings, and I nearly curled up my toes! It will be this time next year before I manage to do all that! Good grief. When will I ever get time to write?!

      Glad there are two of us who are interchangeable!

      Hugs
      Ami

      Delete
    4. That line 'when will I ever get time to write' is exactly what I mean about promo. There is little time left for writing, much less reading.

      Delete
  4. Ami, I am still laughing about Dan's secretive search! I am sure you will indeed need a 'get out of spanky jail free card.' You of course wouldn't be who you are with out a hint of trouble now and again! Wait...I am choking on my word usage...HINT! I believe in being honest, who am I kidding...HINT? NO WAY! You manage to get yourself into many pickles!
    I can't wait to read your new blog! Congrats on your ebook!
    Now we want more stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Minelle! You are meant to be a friend! You shoud've seen my poor bottom after the little nipper attacked it yesterday! All because he went and googled me! My profiles are completely mixed up now. Stupid, stupid Blogger! And more stories will come eventually, but good grief, when it is always me who has trouble with these blessed blogsites, when everyone else just coasts along.

      Hugs
      Ami

      Delete
  5. Ami,
    What happened concerning Dan reading your blog is exactly why I do not want to write a story or a book. Those thoughts are in my head and I do not want any reenactments on my bottom.
    Loved all the garden and recipe descriptions.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, now it is too late and my bottom is scorched! Would you like a little nipper? I can send it with the late post. He is never going to let me live this down. I am going to be reminded every day for the rest of my life at this rate.

      Still no review on my Kindle. What has happened to it. Did it drown in the Atlantic? And now look what is happening with my comments. They are all topsy turvy. I give up.

      Hugs
      Ami

      Delete
  6. Hi Ami, oops a daisy, fancy putting ideas in his head. Oh my goodness, I would so love to see your face when he says he is going to reenact that barn burner!!lol
    love Jan,xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not funny, Jan! Not funny at all! He went and got that bloody little nipper and I had a very uncomfortable day yesterday! He just couldn't seem to see the funny side of it at all!

      Hugs
      Ami

      Delete
  7. Loved reading this Ami, beautifully written.

    Glad to hear your MIL is improving. Sending positive thoughts and prayers that she continues to feel better.

    Congratulations on the book release! That is fantastic! Definitely on my list.

    I think it's great Dan has taken an interest in your writing and the blog and agree with Terps. Rick has always read my posts before publication and it has proven to be a good tool for us. You may want to hide all the weapons of ass destruction though :) I agree, the reality is way different to the fantasy!

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Roz. And thanks for the prayers for my MIL.

      I do hope you will enjoy my story when you get round to reading it.

      I think Dan's interest in my writing is only temporary. After a few days he will have lost interest. You are very lucky if Rick reads all your posts. I have never had that luxury. I do agree with hiding all the ass destruction weapons though. I think I much prefer spanking for pleasure to spanking for retribution!

      LOL!

      Hugs
      Ami

      Delete
  8. ROFLMBO Ami! I can't believe Dan googled you...and made your tushie pay! And you want a 'get out of jail free' card? *snicker* Hope Dan keeps reading...think it will help give him lots of ideas that might help remove the stress from your life. Honestly...if Matthew were still here, I might be asking for some stress relief. ;)

    Sending lots of prayers and healing energy for your MIL.

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, have a good laugh, why don't you?! LOL!

      I don't think he will bother to read again for a long time! He is getting more fun out of walloping me!

      I thing if I wanted to remove all stress from my life I would need a spanking on the hour every hour for the next five years! LOL!

      Thanks for the support re my MIL!!

      Hugs
      Ami

      Delete
  9. Sweet Ami,

    First, I am halfway through your book and have to send up a flare! It's such a good read. I tucked in early last night thinking I could finish it. When Sam came to bed, he said he found the lights on, my Kindle in the middle of the bed, and me sound asleep. Will get back to it as soon as I can finish my comments tonight.

    Will send positive thoughts way across the pond to you. Here's hoping Dan will keep a sense of humor about all of this. I did actually think about what he would think if he read your portrayal. BTW, what do you consider the worst weapon of ass destruction? As a consulting author, of course.

    Loved your simile that your overdue spanking "was like giving a droopy flower a long drink." That analogy is just perfect! Spankings fill me back up with patience and a positive attitude. I don't need to control everything; Sam is in control.

    Ella Ever After

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ella!

      I am glad you are enjoying it. I know it is a bit intense so I hope it doesn't put you off. This book is mostly fantasy but there is a bit of reality thrown in for good measure. Neither Dan nor I would ever consider switches unless we were out in the woods camping, ten miles from civilisation, had no other implements, and it didn't matter what my bottom looked like afterwards. LOL!

      Men always seem to view things differently. I had no idea he would suddenly, out of the blue, read the first bit of my book and then go look at my latest blog. Oh well. He'll get over it. LOL! However, it has taken my bottom a whole day to get over the resultant spanking. My that man can spank when he sets his mind to it! LOL!

      You asked what I considered the worst weapon of ass destruction and I think we are a bit weird. Dan solidly refuses to use a belt as he was belted as a child and has never forgotten it. We have tried a couple of times, but he hates to see the belt marks on my bottom and it really upsets him. I have to state here, that it didn't bother me, and that compared with a wooden implement, a belt does not feel that bad, in my humble opinion, apart from where it wraps at the end. Wood is hard and unforgiving and the spanker needs to be very aware that real injury could occur if it was used in the wrong way, such as if the spanker was in a bad temper. We don't have a wooden paddle, but we have a short handled bath brush with a round head to it, and a long handled bath brush that was last used more than a year ago. We broke our wooden hairbrush and have not replaced it. We have a wooden salad server which is like a large round spoon, thick and made from olive wood, and which really hurts. We also have a thin olive wood spatula called the little nipper which is just what it says it is. But very good for RA and getting rid of stress. It can bruise if used on the same spot for too long, but is mostly just a horrid little splatty implement and stings like heck. The other implement we have is the big nipper. It is possibly made from a fruit wood, as it is similar to the little nipper, and very nice looking apart from the fact that it has holes drilled in it. It was purchased this last February whilst on holiday in the Caribbean and the stallholder winked at Dan when we bought it. It is like an oval paddle but very thin and sturdy. I loathe it and it is buried at the bottom of my drawer and only used if Dan gets mad and goes and selects an implement himself. I would not recommend it to anyone. Our best and my favourite implement I had made at Leatherthorn and it has a red rose on one side. It is very well made - a leather paddle. It can be used for good girl spankings but has been known to heat the very air it travels through! LOL! Hand spankings are my favourite! So there you have it. LOL!

      Hugs
      Ami

      Delete